Following the success of the Beat the Street game in Renfrewshire in 2021, Renfrewshire Council’s active travel team has commissioned its return – and this time it’s in Paisley.
It was a huge success in Johnstone, Linwood, Lochwinnoch, Elderslie, Howwood, Bridge of Weir, Houston and Kilbarchan last time, with more than 6,300 people signing up and collectively they clocked up 53,100 miles in six weeks.
You can take part in the Paisley game at any point from 31 August to 12 October 2022. How to do this is explained below.
What is Beat the Street?
Paisley is being transformed into a giant game and you are invited to play!
Beat the Street is a free, fun, walking, wheeling and cycling game which gets communities, staff, pupils and their families out and about in the local area, having fun and being happy and healthy.
It’s designed to get children and communities moving by helping people to make small changes, such as walking or cycling to school or work, to improve physical and mental wellbeing and help embed physical activity into everyday life.
So far 1.5 million people and 4,500 schools have taken part in games across the UK and beyond.
How does it work?
Anyone can take part, with people over 13 being able to create their own account online.
All of our primary schools in Paisley are taking part – so if you’re a parent or carer, get ready to get your steps in!
To sign up yourself, you can collect your game materials (cards and maps) and instructions from one of our distribution points.
- Lagoon Leisure Centre – 11 Christie Street, Paisley PA1 1NB
- Morrisons – Falside Road (near Neilston Road) PA2 6JE
- Ferguslie Park Community Library – Blackstoun Road, Paisley PA3 1NT –
- Foxbar Library – 72 Ivanhoe Road, Paisley, PA2 0LA,
- Glenburn Library – Fairway Ave, Paisley PA2 8DX
- Tesco Express/Esso Filling Station – Renfrew Road
- Keystore – 4 New Inchinnan Road, PA3 2PP
- Paisley Gilmour Street Station
Game card readers called “Beat Boxes” are positioned around Paisley. You use your contactless game card to hover over these Beat Boxes as they travel around scoring points which sit on their individual and school leaderboards.
Once registered, how do you play?
- Register your card online at www.beatthestreet.me/paisley.
- Explore your local area using the online or paper map to find Beat Boxes.
- Hover your card at the contactless Beat Box until it beeps and flashes.
- Visit two Beat Boxes within an hour and collect 10 points for each
- Score 10 points for every extra Beat Box you visit.
For more information, visit www.beatthestreet.me/paisley.